This essay is in association with the June 2022 Biblical Studies Carnival you can check out at https://secularfrontier.infidels.org/2022/06/test-post-for-june-2022-biblical-studies-carnival/ Just the Stat’s Ma’am I first got a hint of the facts that — as screamingly obvious as they are have gone shockingly ignored — refute the premise presented in the Bible and other scriptures that there … How the Suffering and Death of Billions and Billions of Kids Completely Disproves the Existence of a Good and Loving God – Including Wrecking Free Will Theodicy in the Process
In my humble opinion, the question “Does God exist?” is best answered by taking a particular approach: We should answer this question by means of philosophical investigation, especially by critical examination of philosophical arguments for and against the existence of God. However, this is NOT the only way to approach the question “Does God exist?”. Here … Does God Exist? Part 3: Believe Whatever Makes You Happy
This post is something of a follow-up to my recent post about Sean Carroll’s views concerning meaning and purpose. As I indicated at the end of that post, I used some concepts and made some claims that require development and defense and I promised that I would provide that development and defense in a future … On reasons and what they do
Sean Carroll is an excellent scientist and philosopher. One of his greatest virtues is that he understands both the important role that philosophy must play in the scientific enterprise and that there are some questions that science is not situated to answer and that are the province of philosophy. It is always worthwhile to listen … Can humans create meaning? Can God?
Does anything really matter? Some people say no. Such people are proponents of nihilism, the view according to which nothing matters. According to nihilists, there is no reason to care about anything whatsoever. Nihilists do not deny that people care about things, they claim only that there is no reason to care about anything. Other … Does anything really matter?
Catholics constituted 20.8% of the adult population in the USA (in 2014, see the Religious Landscape Study), and Christians who belong to Evangelical Protestant denominations constituted 25.4% of the adult population in the USA (in 2014). So, if we combine Catholics and Evangelicals, they constituted 46.2% of the adult population in the USA (in 2014). … One Christian Worldview? Part 4: Evangelical Denominations
I have published my third podcast in the series “Thinking Critically About: Is Christianity True?” http://thinkingcriticallyabout.podbean.com/e/podcast-3-what-is-christianity/ Podcast 3: What is Christianity? March 17, 2017 In this podcast the host examines five key claims about Christianity in order to clarify the meaning of the word “Christianity” in this context. ========================== The two previous podcasts in this … Podcast 3: What is Christianity?
1.Christianity is a religion (NOT a relationship with Jesus). 2. Religions have several dimensions. Ninian Smart is a widely respected expert in comparative religions. He asserts that religions are complex historical phenomena that have several dimensions, particularly the following six dimensions: 1.Doctrinal and Philosophical 2.Mythic and Narrative 3.Ethical or Legal 4.Ritual or Practical 5.Experiential or … The Christian Worldview – Part 1: Worldviews
In the book Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, there is a funny scene in which an artificial intelligence is tasked with figuring out the meaning of life or, as it is called in the book, the Great Question of “Life, the Universe, and Everything.” The AI spends 7.5 million years working on the problem, until it finally … Naturalism, Theism, and the Meaning of Life
In his book Naming the Elephant (hereafter: NTE), the Christian apologist James Sire raises various objections against his previous analysis of the concept of a “worldview” that he had presented in his earlier book The Universe Next Door (hereafter: TUND). I have reviewed three of Sire’s objections to his earlier cognitivist analysis of the concept of … What is Christianity? Part 16