Recent Discussion of My Old List, “How to be an Atheist Apologist”
I haven’t been a regular, active participant on message boards for years, but I recently decided to participate in the thread at Rational Skepticism about my 2006 post, “How to be an Atheist Apologist.” The topics we’ve discussed include:
- Is the concept of an “atheist apologist” even coherent or is just a contradiction in terms?
- Where was the sarcasm in my post? Was there any sarcasm in my post?
- Introduction to basic terminology in Bayesian confirmation theory, e.g., prior probability, explanatory power, etc.
- Whether the prior probability of theism is equal to that of pastafarianism (the Flying Spaghetti Monster), Invisible Pink Unicorns, Santa Claus, leprechauns, ghosts, etc.
- My Bayesian fine-tuning argument for God’s existence and the multiverse objection to fine-tuning arguments (plural)
- Historicity of Jesus
- The definition of atheism, the anal-retentive defense of etymological purism, and linguistic relativism vs. objectivism
The discussion board thread may be found here; my comments start here.